Thursday, January 2, 2014

Granola

 Granola   

Excellent
275°/1 hour total

In a large bowl, combine:
2 c old-fashioned oats   (4 cups)
1/2 c wheat germ   (1 cup)
2-3 T dark brown sugar   (6 tbsp)
1/4 t salt   (1 tsp)
1-1 ½ c “extra” ingredients (sunflower seeds, almonds, pecans, coconut, etc) (NOT dried fruit)

In a saucepan, heat to a simmer: 
            1/4 c maple syrup   (3/4 cup)
            3 T vegetable oil   (6 tbsp)
            1 T water  (6 tbsp)
            flavoring (I use 1T vanilla and 1/2 T cinnamon, but you could use different extracts for different tastes)   (3 tbsp vanilla, 2 tbsp cinnamon)

drizzle the liquid over the oat mixture and stir to combine.  Pour into a greased/sprayed 9x13 pan, then squeeze by handfuls to form small clumps.  Bake 30 min at 275 °.  Stir in dried fruit (if desired) (1-1 ½ c total of banana chips, raisins, dates, dried cherries, etc) and bake another 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. 

Let cool – can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

Note:  I usually make a double batch of the dry ingredients and a triple of the liquid, because that’s how I like it.  Increase the salt in the dry ingredients to ½ tsp, and add another ¼ tsp with the liquid.  I also doubled the cinnamon.  I also usually end up using about 1/2 cup of each of the “extras” – again, that’s our preference.  With the bigger batch I use 2 large jellyroll pans for the baking.  As with most of my recipes, this one is pretty open to personal interpretation.

Nutritional information for granola and variations. Based on 1/2 cup servings.
Classic Granola: 256 calories, 6g protein, 34.9g carbohydrates, 11.4g fat, 0mg cholesterol, 3.9g fiber, 85mg sodium.  (32 calories per tbps, 10 per tsp)

Granola Bars

1 1/2 cups granola
1/4-1/3 cup each chopped almonds and chopped pecans, toasted
1/2 cup white chocolate chips

spray 8x8 pan and sprinkle granola on the bottom

heat 1/3 cup corn syrup and 1/3 cup brown sugar to a boil.  Stir in 1/3 cup chunky peanut butter.  Mix into dry mixture.  Spread into pan and sprinkle granola over the top.


Cool, cut, and eat

No comments:

Post a Comment